Re: cache-stats-1.4 HIT RATE

From: Marc van Selm <selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:21:20 +0100

At 11:37 AM 4/17/97 +0200, james@iafrica.com wrote:

>My problem is that if I use the cache-manager interface I get a hit rate
>of around 60%, which from rough calculations seems to be correct. The
>cache-stats-1.4 program that I run every day reports about 35% hit rate,
>but upon inspection of the code I think I know why.
>
>This is a part of access-summary.pl

... deleted ...

>There is no TCP_REFRESH_HIT, TCP_REF_FAIL_HIT, TCP_IMS_HIT, UDP_HIT_OBJ

I found the same thing. This didn't make sense. Also I found that a sibling
had only 40-50% TCP-hitrate. This doesn't make sense because, when using
ICP, a TCP request is only done when there is a hit.

>Do many people use the cache-stats-1.4 scripts, have you just modified the
>source yourselves or are you happy with the HIT rates as they are ?

I changed it a bit and included the above TCP-hits and UDP-hits in all
places where I just found TCP_HIT and UDP_HIT. Now I've done this I get a
much more realistic hitrate. (also confirmed by other tools and rough
calculations)

> [James Power]
>[UUnet Internet Africa Operations]

Marc van Selm
Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
E-Mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm