Adminisitrivia: usenet gateway

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:55:29 -0500 (CDT)

I discovered today that this list is being gatewayed to usenet.

Is this with the list owners permission? Since I'm new here I don't
know, but was the list informed of this gateway? Personally I'm not
very happy about it because I thought this was a semi-private
discussion - to find out about it you had to either be a list member
or check the archives. Now anyone trawling for our names on usenet
will know what any of us are doing. I don't like the loss of
privacy it causes, and I'm sick to death of the junk mail I get
every time I post to usenet and get my address added to another
"Buy a list of ONE MILLION addresses from me and make your fortune
as a junk mailer!!!" ads :-( Nor do I like the idea that any
rival local companies will now see everything I'm working
on for the trivial cost of an Alta Vista or Deja News search.
(Hi Joe...)

If I had know this list was being gatewayed to usenet I would
have posted from another account with a fake name and address
in the headers. This may seem excessive to some of you reading
this but you probably don't get 10 junkmails a day (yet) like
I do.

I would appreciate if whoever is doing the gatewaying would at
the least add a "X-No-Archive: yes" header to the posts so
they're not indexed by the search engines (although I think
that's ignored by the tracking service at reference.com)

There's my $0.02 worth.