Re: question about national caches

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 97 08:53:51 -0700

gtoal@vt.com writes:

>> > directly. See the "Using ICMP to Measure the Network" section
>> > in the Squid-1.1.9 Release Notes for more info.
>
>There don't appear to be any ICMP config options, just a
>compile-time switch, is this correct? If I turn the compile-time
>switch on, what all happens? From what I read it appears to
>turn on some hop-counting stuff; but from what Duane said
>ping timing to DIRECT fetch hosts? Did I misunderstand?

There are two configuration options, both mentioned in the Release
Notes:

     query_icmp on|off
     minimum_direct_hops

If you're looking in your squid.conf you may not see them since
they were added after the BSDI distribution was cut. You should
see them in squid.conf.default if you've built a more recent
version.

>> That also answers one of the questions on my last posting, thanks.
>> This is a document I hadn't noticed so far. I'll go read it now
>> before I post any more. Thanks.
>
>May I suggest adding this in a more prominent place on the web page
>please? I suspect the maintainers are assuming everyone has the
>source distribution and therefore sees the documents there; I
>didn't because I was running from the BSDI binary dist. I have now
>installed the sources and found even more useful documentation.
>I'd suggest direct links to all the source docs from the web page
>if possible please.

Its two clicks away:

   http://www.nlanr.net/Squid/
   http://www.nlanr.net/Squid/documentation.html