Re: a penny dropping

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 03:56:13 +0200

Graham Toal wrote:
> In the squid case, anything it thinks is a cgi, or any POSTs, still
> go directly. I wasn't expecting that.

Well, in normal cases you don't want uncacheable requests to go throught
a parent by several reasons:
  a) Performance
  b) Cache consistency (the parent might be caching things that your
cache policy says is uncacheable).

But if you'd like to fetch everything throught one of the parents, then
you set inside_firewall, requiring squid to find a parent for each
request, cacheable or not.

There is a firewall_ip config option as well, but I am not sure how it
works.. I guess it has to do a DNS lookup before checking...

---
Henrik Nordström