Re: ERR_CANNOT_FETCH on DU 4.0 and Squid 1.1.8

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:58:05 +1000 (EST)

> We had this problem, and I put it down to the fact that our firewall
> (Netscape Proxy) is on a saturated link and is slow to respond.
>
> By configuring Squid to look at a different proxy server on our Intranet
> (also Netscape Proxy) the problem was cured.
>
> I suspect the root cause is however Squid - not waiting long enough for a
> reply from the firewall proxy before deciding that the firewall proxy is
> dead!!!

If your Squid cache is totally behind a firewall, and you have to talk to
a single firewall proxy to get out, then use single_parent on. If you have
multiple proxies then parent them all, making the most reliable tagged
with 'default no-query'.

It'd be nice if Squid could cascade through a series of proxies ala Netscape
Auto Proxy Configuration.

tom@interact.net.au