Re: FW: Parents & siblings ???

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:13:28 +1000 (EST)

> Hey there..
>
> I really need a sanity check on this.. can someone, anyone please comment on this??
>
> I'm in the process of designing a proxy server setup for my work, and then configuring it for use by our clients, so I need a clear idea of how it all ties together.
>
> Planned config:
>
> www-proxy -> one IP address, which points to a Cisco LocalDirector
> (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/751/lodir/index.html).

If you use the LRD then ICP will _not_ work. You'll have to either use
single_parent_bypass (which limits you to one parent). If you want to
have multiple parents, use 'no-query default' on the LRD cache_host
line.

ICP costs money, so you'll only want to use it if it's getting a reasonable
amount of success (ie 20% - do some accounting and see). We had a situation
where ICP packets where using up about 50Meg a day, but the cache hit was
only 3Meg.

tom@interact.net.au