Re: Compiling Problems - Squid 1.1.9

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:01:59 +0200

Duane Wessels writes:
> TBRIGLIA@us.oracle.com writes:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Tried compiling Squid on a new system running Solaris 2.5.1 and using gcc
> >2.7.2. Hit the following linker error;
> >
> >gcc -o squid -g acl.o cache_cf.o client_db.o client_side.o comm.o debug.o
> >disk.o dns.o errorpage.o event.o fdstat.o filemap.o fqdncache.o ftp.o gopher=
> >.o
> >
> >hash.o http.o http-anon.o icmp.o icp.o ident.o ipcache.o main.o mime.o
> >neighbors.o net_db.o objcache.o pass.o proto.o redirect.o refresh.o
> >send-announce.o ssl.o stack.o stat.o stmem.o store.o store_clean.o
> >storetoString.o tools.o unlinkd.o url.o useragent.o wais.o -L../lib -lcrypt=
> >
> >-lmiscutil -lm -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl
> >ld: fatal: library -lmiscutil: not found
> >ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to squid
> >make[1]: *** [squid] Error 1
> >make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/squid-1.1.9/src'
> >make: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> >I noticed the lib/Makefile references the archive "libmiscutil.a". I have
> >searched my entire system and it appears that the libmiscutil.a archive is n=
> >ot
> >part of either the Solaris ditribution nor your Squid distribution.
> >

> >Can you shed any light on the subject??
>
> Sounds like you ran 'make' from the wrong directory. You need to
> run it from the 'squid-1.1.9' directory and it will build the libraries
> and everything in the right order.
Essentially what happens is that squid compiles everything in the
"squid-1.1.9/lib" directory into a library which it then links into the
main body of the squid code.
If you type "make" in "squid-1.1.9/" it tries to make the stuff in
"squid-1.1.9/lib" into a library. If it fails though, it tries to create the
rest of the program and dies. (You will notice that it uses "-L../lib")

You will probably find the real error further up in the compile....
If Duane didn't get it right of the mark.

Duane - Is it possible to make the failure to make libmiscutil.a
fatal? I had this problem yesterday when hacking around with the stuff in
"lib".

Cheers
Oskar