Re: URL_REGEX case insensitive?

From: Kevin Fink <kevin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 20:09:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> blocking out all porno sites is essentially impossible. unless you want
> to spend about 48 hours per day keeping track of every new site on the net
> you just cant do it.

We currently spend about 400 man-hours/week just to review what the rest
of our systems pull in as "suspect". So I would say that your estimate of
48 hours per day is a little low... :-)

> a file containing squid acls. ended up with about 5200 domains to block.
>
> i would guess that that blocks about 80-90% of the porno sites. there's

Wrong. We are currently blocking about 125,000 sites so I don't think
that 5200 is close to 80% of the total. Some of ours are partial URLs, of
course, but a quick run-through of the list shows over 25,000 separate IP
addresses...

> you can prevent people from chaining proxies with the following
> acl:
>
> acl dualproxy urlpath_regex -_-
> http_access deny dualproxy all

This won't block all of the chains. There are other patterns they use as
delimiters as well.

There are also lots of other issues which come up when you try to do this
seriously. I wouldn't recommend trying to half-ass it -- you either have
to really do it all the way or not do it all. It is a never-ending
battle...

Kevin

 Kevin Fink <kevin@fink.com> N2H2, Creators of Bess
 http://www.fink.com/ 1301 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1501
 http://www.n2h2.com/ Seattle, WA 98101
 (206) 971-1451 VOICE (206) 971-1460 FAX (206) 680-7666 PAGER