Re: Squid multiple ports

From: Cefiar <cefiar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 18:49:59 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 6 May 1997, David Richards wrote:

> What advantage would I have, or for what purpose would I choose to
> implement the patch that enables squid to listen on different ports??
>
> Why would this help me??

This is useful if...

1> You are migrating from one cache product to another. You can add a
'different' port of 8080, and it'll take all requests on 8080, which is
the default in apache if you enable the proxy module.

2> It can give you freedom to play with other cache programs by simply
disabling squid's use of a port, and telling your new cache program to use
that port only. eg: I could use the port duplication module and give ftp
it's own port number. I can then disable it later in squid, and run a
dedicated ftp cache that supports ftp and http requests, without any of
the users really realising that any change had occured.

(The upshot of 2 is that instead of having a dedicated ftp cache and squid
doing it's ftp cache (responding to http requests only) possibly caching 2
identical documents (fetching twice), the dedicated ftp cache would only
fetch the document once.

3> Some people believe that having multiple ports and spreading the load
across them speeds up the processes. I don't know wether this is true..
you'd prolly have to find out for yourself.

| http://amarok.glasswings.com.au/ | cefiar@amarok.glasswings.com.au |
| Jake and Elwood - The Blues Brothers! |
| "You traded it?! You traded the Blues Mobile for this?" |
| "No. For a microphone." "A microphone? OK I can see that." |