"Hit Rate" calculation....

From: Ross Wheeler <rossw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 07:58:07 +1000 (EST)

Morning all,
           I've just grepped the 1.1.9 docs and can't find the "hit rate"
calculation mentioned. I've run some monitors on the performance of my
squid (total bytes *to* the server from other servers port 80, total
bytes sent *from* our server to our subscribers from port 3128) and have
significant variance from the figure reported by squid. (Granted, this is
only over 24 hours). Squid is reporting 44% hit on http but actual bytes
from the server are 53% more than bytes to the server over the same time.

Can someone please indicate HOW the "Hit Rate" is calculated? Is it
number of BYTES, number of HITS or something else?

Thanks in advance,
RossW