Re: proxy.pac

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 17:06:06 +0100

On Wed 7 May, 1997, Penisoara Adrian <ady@warp.starnets.ro> wrote:
>No, and it won't work for anybody in the standard config.
>The WAIS protocol is a special kind, it requires a WAIS server in order to
>work (Warning, I have no ideea about what I'm talking about, I never had
>to wander about WAIS protocol, so please someone explain it better for
>us!).
>>From my knowadleges, Squid & NNavigator require an WAIS proxy to accept
>"wais:" URLs.

correct - Netscape Navigator (and probably MS IE) don't natively implement
WAIS and have always needed a proxy to do the conversion work for them.

The only one that I know of is to use the CERN httpd software with
WAIS support compiled in - which is a real nuisance and quite difficult
to get it to work on recent OS versions (because it's build system
is awkward).

-- jrg.