Re: Squid: yahoo search problem

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 May 97 15:55:28 -0700

pauls@locust.etext.org writes:

>Using 1.1.9+fixes on our proxy, I can consistently replicate this user's
>complaint regarding Yahoo:
>
>: http://search.my.yahoo.com/search/my?p=avalanche
>:
>:doesn't work through the proxy server (using lynx or netscape). I
>:haven't looked at the network data.
>
>Squid says:
>
>863530248.011 555 x.x.x.x ERR_ZERO_SIZE_OBJECT/400 815 GET http://search.my
.yahoo.com/search/my?p=avalanche - DIRECT/search.my.yahoo.com -

>97/05/13 09:39:26| ERR_ZERO_SIZE_OBJECT: http://search.my.yahoo.com/search/my?
p=avalanche

>Without proxy, URL is OK. Is this a Yahoo problem or a Squid problem?

Yahoo is aborting the connection if the HTTP request does not include
a User-Agent: header.

My guess is that, like myself, you have enabled the 'http_anonymizer'
option.

My reading of RFC 2068 is that User-Agent is optional.

14.42 User-Agent

   The User-Agent request-header field contains information about the
   user agent originating the request. This is for statistical purposes,
   the tracing of protocol violations, and automated recognition of user
   agents for the sake of tailoring responses to avoid particular user
   agent limitations. User agents SHOULD include this field with
   requests. The field can contain multiple product tokens (section 3.8)
   and comments identifying the agent and any subproducts which form a
   significant part of the user agent. By convention, the product tokens
   are listed in order of their significance for identifying the
   application.

Duane W.