Re: Squid: yahoo search problem

From: Paul Southworth <pauls@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 06:41:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 May 1997, Duane Wessels wrote:

:Yahoo is aborting the connection if the HTTP request does not include
:a User-Agent: header.
:
:My guess is that, like myself, you have enabled the 'http_anonymizer'
:option.

You guess right.

Anonymizer sure causes a lot of problems. Well, "causes" may be the wrong
word because the problem appears to be server-side protocol violation,
although did you notice the comments in http-anon.c?

    {"User-Agent:", 11}, /* filtering violates HTTP */
    {"WWW-Authenticate:", 17}, /* filtering violates HTTP */

But it sure would be nice to be able to easily customize the anonymizer
fields in the squid.conf file. I would like to be able to pick the fields
at run-time and specify the user-agent field to some string I supply.
Something like this:

http_header From no
http_header Referer no
http_header User-Agent "Nutscrape/1.0 (CP/M; 8-bit)"

Specifying fields to turn off, or a string to substitute for that field.
So I can roll my own anonymizer paranoia level. That should be just about
enough rope. ;)

--Paul