RE: ftp problem

From: Mike Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 15:54:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Paquette, Trevor wrote:

> This is because squid does not work (at least I have never been able to
> get it to) with "login names", It can normal anonymous connections, but
> once you try to connect via an account it blows up.
>
> Solution: FTP directly to the site using the account given, or use a
> real ftp proxy.

It's not a problem with Squid, I've got 1.1.9 running and I'm doing this
very thing (to a different URL) just fine. The problem may be that it
thinks that when you give it a directory name at the outset, it needs to
CD down into that directory on the FTP server, and when it tries "cd
v95301l1.zip" it fails and gives you this message. Or, the "licensed"
account may have a default directory of "licensed", and when you connect
using that URL it may be trying to go to the directory:

        /licensed/licensed/antivirus/win95/v95301l1.zip

(The first "licensed" is the default directory of the account, and the
rest is what you're giving it on the URL.

Try using this URL instead:

        ftp://licensed@ftpweb.mcafee.com

Then once you're attached, browse down into the approrpriate directory.

        -Mike Pelletier.