Re: Squid is OK, but which UNIX for high loads?

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:34:29 +0100

On Thu 22 May, 1997, Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@adv.iaehv.nl> wrote:
>I have experienced the same problems when I was running Squid on a
>Sparc20, 384MB memory with Solaris 2.5.1 and around 50000 conns/hour. As
>soon as the number of open connections came above a certain level,
>performanced dropped to even worse numbers than yours (>20 secs for
>small-sized cache hits).

I've seen a very strange 0.39 seconds consistent response time for
fetching a small-ish document through a Solaris 2.5.1+recommended
patches Sparc 20 box that we set up; even when there is no other
traffic. I suspect poll() is to blame, but no definitive proof.

>Why don't you want FreeBSD? Did you ever try it? I replaced the
>Sparc/Solaris setup with a PPRO200/128MB with FreeBSD 2.2.1 for a few days
>and the response times for the small-sized cache hits went down from >20

We've just been experimenting with a similar power PC, same version of
FreeBSD and 256MB of RAM. Response times are < 0.01 when the system is
lightly loaded, and even with a mix of ICP and HTTP for 40,000
requests per hour, it's consistently good.

Earlier, before we modified the kernel to use more than 64MB of RAM,
the system was actually paging quite heavily and still giving
reasonable performance. We've not yet had it up and running long
enough for it to page since we brought it up to 256MB.

-- jrg.