Re: How to add another HD

From: Jason Lixfeld <jlixfeld@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:17:31 -0400 (EDT)

What you may consider is mdtools. This is a module that you can install
in the 2.0.XX kernels that supports 'Multiple Devices'. What this
entails, is 1 or more devices, in your case hard disks ie: /dev/hda3 and
/dev/hdb1 linked together to form one logical device or /dev/md0
partition. You can install the RAID module aswell, and what this will do,
is distribute the data evenly throughout both devices through the
/dev/md0 partition as opposed to filling up one, and then using the second
device as overflow. It's an option that I use on my news and proxy
servers here. Also, this allows you the seemless addition of a total X
number of devices, be them IDE or SCSI to your /dev/md0 partition. As far
as squid goes, you can mount /dev/md0 /squidcache ; cp -a
/usr/local/squid/cache/* /squidcache ; ln -s /usr/local/squid/cache
/squidcache and voila. 8gigs of cache space, with the seemless
device addition feature built in! =)

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Ralf Rudolph wrote:

| >Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 13:20:47 +0200
| >From: Ralf Rudolph <ralf@artifex.de>
| >To: squid-users@nlanr.net
| >Subject: How to add another HD
| >
| >Hi there,
| >
| >I am currently running squid 1.1.8 under Linux, and it´s been running smooth and fine for weeks now. Next week, I´m going to upgrade the system from 4 to 8 gig by adding another HD (and memory from 96 to 128 Meg).
| >
| >BUT: How am I going to add this second HD without loosing my 280 thousand cache entries? Is there some upgrade script or configuration option available? Did I miss something in the docs?
| >
| >Currently, I´m using the standard setup regarding the cache directory structure, and I have the data harddisk mounted on a subdir /harddisk1. Next week, there will be another mountpoint /harddisk2, and I´ll have to distribute the files somehow.
| >
| >===========
| >PLEASE help, I need this Information urgently. THANKS!
| >===========

| >|
| >| Ralf Rudolph
| >| Dipl.-Inf. (FH)