How to simulate heavy load?

From: Eloy A. Paris <>
Date: 25 May 1997 04:02:15 GMT

after I read the very interesting thread "Squid is OK but which Unix?"
I am a little bit worried about Linux's performance in Squid
mission-critical applications (HTTP caching and proxying). We use
Squid in our production server, which serves a small LAN (70+ machines)
and I don't think we will ever have the problems that people mention
when getting 70000 hits per hour.

But any way, I think Linux is great and don't like to hear bad things
about my favorite OS.

So, since we are far away of getting the 70000 hits/hour that cause
problems, I was wondering if there is a way of simulating such a heavy
load so I can see with my own eyes how Linux and Squid perform.

We have a pretty fast HP-UX box so I was thinking about telneting
to the proxy port as fast as I can a retrieve a cached document. It is
just that I do not know how to automate the telnet. I was thinking
about something like this in bash:

telnet proxy 8080 << EOF

but this does not work.

Any ideas on how to put Squid and my OS to sweat?

Thanks in advance.

Eloy A. Paris
Information Technology Department
Rockwell Automation de Venezuela
Telephone: +58-2-9432311 Fax: +58-2-9430323