Re: Transparent Proxying of FTP traffic..

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 21:22:27 +0200

Steve Ollis writes:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to settle this question with a colleague, and I'd like a
> definitive answer either way. I believe that it can't be done, but I'm a
> little unsure about whether SQUID can handle this so...

You can masquerade ftp connections under linux by inserting the
module ip_masq_ftp

Squid won't understand the masqueraded connection though. You can
simply configure the masquerader (sp?) to pass the traffic straight through,
though you won't save on the traffic.

> To transparently proxy http, you can setup a Cisco to redirect all port 80
> traffic to a Squid host, that then runs as an Accelerator, and fetches the
> request, caching the results.
>
> Can the same be done for FTP? FTP consists of port 21 (control) and port 20
> (data).
If you look at the source/change the source for the IP masq option and
route traffic through the linux box it can be done. The limiting factors
are your C knowledge, whether you are willing to use linux as a router and
the amount of time you wish to spend on it.

> 2) HTTP already has a fully qualified URL, or pointer to destination data
> in
> the request. FTP (from a non-browser) does not.
In other words you would have to keep state for each of the connections and
figure out where to pass the traffic back to.

Oskar