Re: restricting sex oriented material

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 23:24:48 -0500 (CDT)

> Hi, since we have a very slow link to the internet (28.8kbps) I've restricted
> all access to sex oriented material which at times tend to be highly accessed
> by some users by using the following acl:
>
> acl banned url_regex "/usr/local/etc/squid/etc/banned.txt"
> http_access deny banned
>
> where banned.txt looks like:
> [eE][rR][oO][tT][iI][cC]
> [aA][dD][uU][lL][tT]
> [nN][uU][dD][eE]
> [pP][oO][rR][nN]
> [sS][eE][xX]
> [xX][xX][xX]
> ... and more stuff

The Posix regex(3) has an option to compile expressions with case equivalence
that will speed this up tremendously. (REG_ICASE)

> This have been working great but users find new sites so from time to time I
> have to browse the log files which most of the time are in the order of
> several megabytes, and search for suspicious sites.
>
> So I was wondering if anybody knows a better way to do this, and does anybody
> knows a place that lists all the sex related sites so I can just download
> updated lists from time to time?

No, the only lists I know about are private ones used in programs
like cyber-sitter etc. It's a full-time job keeping on top of them.
Although there are net efforts at group rating, I don't know of
any net public lists of sex sites yet.

PS Won't www.essex.ac.uk get annoyed at one of those above? :-)