proxy, gateway abuse

From: Andrew Daviel <andrew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:22:11 -0700 (PDT)

.. in view of the low s/n on nanam, what chances of this being read ? :-(

I've had two instances of gateways/proxies being abused. In one, a
web/mail gateway was used to bomb someone with boring reports by faking
the "reply-to" field. More recently, my proxy cache was used in
conjunction with a web/usenet gateway to obfuscate the audit trail and
send usenet spam.

A plea: when tracing http-based abuse, please check for proxy HTTP headers
such as Proxy-Connection, Via, Forwarded-For etc. to determine the
original poster, not just the proxy address.

Also, please include the transport (http, nntp, smtp etc.) and ip number
in abuse reports, not just the ip address name.

Andrew Daviel