Re: restricting sex oriented material

From: Kevin Fink <kevin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:04:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Graham Toal wrote:

> I suspect one of the modifications is a hash table for pattern
> matching rather than a linear search. You can anchor on any fixed
> part of a URL and only do a linear search on a small subset of
> URLs like ".*xxx.*". The obvious fixed part to anchor on is
> the site name or IP but any directory path element would do too.

No comment... :-)

> I haven't studied the release conditions of squid recently so I
> don't know if it's a condition of commercial use that modifications
> are fed back to the squid team. It would be nice if they were.
> I hope n2h2 is playing fair.

I hope so, too. Our lawyers said it was ok (not that I generally trust
lawyers...). The release condition of Squid is that it is under version 2
of the FSF GPL. Under that I believe (I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on
TV, and don't even look like anyone who plays one on TV) that if we were
to sell it we would be required to include the full source to our clients.
We would have no such requirement to give that source to anyone else, I
don't think (but they might be able to give it away themselves - I'm not
sure about that). Since we don't sell it, however, I don't think we have
to release anything at all.

Personally, I would love to release the modifications. (After cleaning up
my code a bit, of course...) What programmer likes to write a bunch of
really cool code and then not let anyone who would have an icicle's chance
in hell of understanding it see it? Besides, propagating my 20 million
changes every time Squid revs is a pain in the butt...

Kevin

 Kevin Fink <kevin@fink.com> N2H2, Creators of Bess
 http://www.fink.com/ 1301 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1501
 http://www.n2h2.com/ Seattle, WA 98101
 (206) 971-1400 VOICE (206) 971-1460 FAX (206) 680-7666 PAGER