Re: parent cache config-is this right?

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 11:32:15 -0500 (CDT)

> cache_host sv.cache.nlanr.net parent 3128 3130 weight=2 default
> cache_host sd.cache.nlanr.net parent 3128 3130
>
> I expect the above configuration to use sv.cache.nlanr.net first,
> sd.cache.nlanr.net second, and use sv.cache.nlanr.net if there is no
> other way to retrieve the web site, like if my gateway has no
> connectivity to the foreign site. Is this correct?

My understanding from watching it in action with a similar setup is this:

It will use sd.cache if sd has the page in cache and sv doesn't.
If it is a URL that should go directly (eg cgi-bin, post) and can't
access directly, it will probably fail rather than back off to
the parent cache unless you have compiled squid to do a ping
test on every direct fetch.