Re: you have reason Henny! congratulations!!

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 17:37:36 +0200

Fernando Caba writes:

> > Fernando Caba <fcaba@criba.edu.ar> writes:
> > > The first problem is when any user in Netscape press the
> > > reload button, the first proxy (proxy-http) request the page to the
> > > second proxy, and this request to the provider too. Why don't any of the
> > > two proxies cached the pages????!!!!!
> >
> > When you hit reload, Netscape adds a "no-cache" tag to the request, saying
> > it wants the original page, not the version cached on any intermediate
> > proxy. It's the user's way of saying "I think this page has been modified
> > since I first loaded it". This can be very useful when you have a telnet
> > window open to edit HTML source and you want to see what you've accomplished
> > so far.
> >
> Not entirely true... Only when you do a Forced Reload (pressing SHIFT while
> clicking Reload in netscape) it will add a Pragma: no-cache. If you press
Wrong! Try it (at least with netscape 3)

With a "Reload" (no shift!)

GET / HTTP/1.0 User-Agent: Mozilla/3.01Gold (X11; I; Linux 2.0.30 i586) Pragma: no-cache Host: apollo.is.co.za:7
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */* Via: 1.0 cache1.is.co.za:8080 (Squid/1.NOVM.10)

There is a difference with "shift-reload". It's subtle though... basically
I have a script that creates a .gif file... connecting to the page
doesn't use the cache since it's on our private network.

I managed to get the graphic as it was being created (ie the graphic
was coming down). Doing a reload didn't bring it up correctly, though
firing up another netscape on a different machine did work (I think - it
was a while ago ;) Doing a "shift-reload" brought it up fine...

Oskar