Re: Anyway to config a "backup" parent?

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 14:31:14 -0500 (CDT)

> Let me describe my configuration first.
>
> P1 P2 /
> | | P3 --
> \ / /
> A ---'
>
> My Squid server "A" has 3 parents, P1, P2 & P3
> P1 & P2 are nlanr's servers, P3 is another server in local.
> I had enable the ICMP and PING futures..
> Now, my problem is, how can I make P3 just be a "backup" parent?

This is very similar to a problem I have (and indeed the reason I'm
using squid in the first place.) The short answer is that what you
want is not strictly possible with squid as it stands, but personally
I'm sticking with squid because it's obvious the code has enough
mechanisms that what I need will be added some day :-)