Re: Squid access.log Messages

From: John Sloan <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:18:18 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Samath Wijesundara wrote:

> >> I can see the /neighborsUdpPing/ in my logfile. I wonder, my local sites
> >> which are local to me is faster than the parents. So it should have
> >> SOURCE_FASTEST. I am using 2 parents in USA, the fastet RTT is 300ms to
> >> these, and my local sites are at maximum 80ms or less. But generally squid
> >> get local sites DIRECT, but not SOURCE_FASTEST ?
> >
> >Source fastest will only work if the server at the far end has udp echo
> >enabled.
> >
> >John
>
> John, Thanks,
>
> I am using following at the far end
> bo.cache.nlanr.net
> it.cache.nlanr.net
> They are parents and they should have udp echo enabled ??

Source fastest doesn't send a udp echo packet to your parents. It sends
that packet to the webserver specified in the URL. If that responds
quicker than any of your siblings or parents, then it fetches the page
direct.

My guess would be that for some reason the udp packets being sent to your
local sites aren't being return - either because they are blocked by
router filters, or because those servers have echo disabled.

> - Samath

John