caches ignores high/low water marks?

From: Jan Torreele <Jan.Torreele@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:00:43 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi all,

We run squid.1.NOVM.10 with a 11GB cache on a sparc ultra 2. I have two
questions:

1. The last couple of days, our squid has been ignoring both high and low
water marks. Everything seems okay as long as cache_swap_low < cache <
cache_swap_high. However, if for some reason (eg. a core dump with a huge
core file being created) the situation suddenly becomes cache_swap_high
< cache, then the cache will continue to grow larger and larger until
the disk eventually fills up. In same way, when cache < cache_swap_low
(situation caused for example when the huge core file is removed) squid
will continue to empty the cache until everything is gone ... A restart
of squid helps, but in case of a disk full causes a slow rebuild (taking
about 9 hours to complete!). Our config is:

cache_swap_low 75
cache_swap_high 85

2. Has anyone tried to set client_netmask (in squid.conf) to something
other than 255.255.255.255? When I try to change it squid won't start up
anymore and I get the following error message:

Jun 11 18:52:36 syslog: Bungled squid.conf line 515: client_netmask
255.255.255.O

Any clues about this?

Regards,

--
Jan Torreele				E-mail: Jan.Torreele@belnet.be
BELNET Service Support Team		Tel.:	 +32 (0) 2 / 238 34 70