Re: caches ignores high/low water marks?

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:26:38 +0200

Jan Torreele writes:
> Hi all,
>
> We run squid.1.NOVM.10 with a 11GB cache on a sparc ultra 2. I have two
> questions:
>
> 1. The last couple of days, our squid has been ignoring both high and low
> water marks. Everything seems okay as long as cache_swap_low < cache <
> cache_swap_high. However, if for some reason (eg. a core dump with a huge
> core file being created) the situation suddenly becomes cache_swap_high
> < cache, then the cache will continue to grow larger and larger until
> the disk eventually fills up. In same way, when cache < cache_swap_low
Note that squid doesn't consider the core file part of it's cache,
it's just an arbitrary file in that directory, not part of the cache...

> (situation caused for example when the huge core file is removed) squid
> will continue to empty the cache until everything is gone ... A restart
hmm - There is supposedly a bug like this in that squid may continue to
clear the cache after the min value has been reached...

I was sent this patch by Duane, since we were one of the first
people who used NOVM... strangely the patch isn't listed on the
home page... (Duane? - As far as I know you are holding the cache-conference
so there isn't much chance of you answering this...)

ftp://ftp.is.co.za/private/uploads/squid-NOVM-patch-10
it seems to match the symptoms described...

> 2. Has anyone tried to set client_netmask (in squid.conf) to something
> other than 255.255.255.255? When I try to change it squid won't start up
> anymore and I get the following error message:
>
> Jun 11 18:52:36 syslog: Bungled squid.conf line 515: client_netmask
> 255.255.255.O
> Any clues about this?
Using CIDR notation works...
ie: