Re: Anyway to config a "backup" parent?

From: Genta <genta@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 21:52:17 +0900

Hi All,

At 09:28 97/06/09 +0200, Cord Beermann wrote:
> Hallo! Du (Keh-Chen Lau) hast geschrieben:
>
> > Let me describe my configuration first.
> >
> > P1 P2 /
> > \ / /
> > A ---'
> >
> > My Squid server "A" has 3 parents, P1, P2 & P3
> > P1 & P2 are nlanr's servers, P3 is another server in local.
> > I had enable the ICMP and PING futures..
> > Now, my problem is, how can I make P3 just be a "backup" parent?
> > Because I found that, FIRST_PARENT_MISS will go to P3, but this
> > is not what I want, P3 has a slower link connected to outside.
> > The "weight=x" option don't work if the site is not in netdb yet.
> > It seems that, Squid just pick a parent in random if that site
> > is first time accessed and no UDP_HIT from sibling...

I had same problem/question and trying with the configuration like this:

> cache_host P3 sibling <tcp-port> <udp-port>
> cache_host P3 parent <tcp-port> <udp-port> no-query default
>
> Please tell us if it does, thanks.

The result is:
1.Almost work good :-)
2.Sometime P3 gets request even if P1/P2 are alive
3.POST method (maybe) always be sent to P3

I'd like to use P3 as real last-resort...
Can I use the weight option for this ?

--
Genta Shinji - Hitachi Seibu Software, Ltd.