Re: Monitoring Squid with MRTG (nice graphics)

From: Alexander Serkin <als@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:53:05 +0400

Samath Wijesundera wrote:

> This looks ok ! I tried to set the things up But I have the following questions.
>
> 1. On the mrtg.cfg you have lines such as
>
> Target[descr]: `/usr/local/lib/MRTG/get_cache_descr`
>
> On MRTG I think you need a executable with the above name (ie
> get_cache_descr) for its opration ! Are these missing at the
> http://cache.cnrs.fr/MRTG/config.html

And is there an example of get_squid_uptime ?

> 2. How are executing your retrieve.script and echoping. Are you doing this
> on a cron job ? or mrtg it do this automatically every time it is called !

Actually i see stats only on file descriptors' usage. Bytes, Requests,
DNS remains empty.
And i don't know why :-(
Below is a fragment from my mrtg.cfg, that seem to produce no results:

---
Target[requests]: `/usr/src/cache/get_cache_requests`
MaxBytes[requests]: 5
Title[requests]: Cache - Number of requests
YLegend[requests]: Number of requests
ShortLegend[requests]: r/s
LegendI[requests]: &nbsp;number
Legend1[requests]: Number of requests per second on the Cache server
LegendO[requests]:
Options[requests]: growright
Colours[requests]: DARK
GREEN#006600,VIOLET#ff00ff,BLUE#1000ff,ORANGE#ff8022
PageTop[requests]: <H1>Number of requests per second on the Cache server
 (per second, all protocols)
 </H1>
 <TABLE>
   <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>cache1.mcc.cell.ru</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Maintainer:</TD><TD>als@cell.ru</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Max Number (expected, but could be higher):</TD>
       <TD>5</TD></TR>
  </TABLE>
 <P>This page shows the number of Web requests made by the clients of
the
 cache. It includes requests for all protocols (HTTP, Gopher, FTP) if
they
 were made through the HTTP protocol (which means ICP requests are not
counted).
 We use the <code>stats/utilization</code> query of the cache manager.
---
And the file /usr/src/cache/requests.log contains some results only in
the first line. All lines below are empty:
867674746 5724 0
867674746 0 0 0 0
867674700 0 0 0 0
867674400 0 0 0 0
867674100 0 0 0 0
867673800 0 0 0 0
798940800 0 0 0 0
798854400 0 0 0 0
--
By that time mrtg had been living in cron for an hour.