Re: Using squid as a 'falloverable proxy'.

From: Matt Isleb <kermit@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:35:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Hi.. I run a cache for a small ISP.. Most of the users use netscape/ie
> with config files that let the browser work if the proxy fails.. some do
> not.. I'd like to setup a copy of squid on port 8080 that will answer and
> forward to 3128 if it's answering.. I dont want it to do any caching.. If
> it's not up it should just note it in a log and directly fetch it.. Can
> this be dones with the config files or would I be best hacking the
> source.. Or is my idea fundmentaly broken?

I got a nifty little program called junkbuster. It is designed to run on
a UNIX box an filter out those annoying advertisement banners all over
the web. Use junkbuster as a proxy for netscape and you can configure
junkbuster to forward requests to squid. With a little hacking of the
junkbuster source you can have it test for the existance of the squid proxy
and forward if it is there. If squid is NOT up have it retrieve the web
data directly. Run junkbuster with no filtering rules and you have
exactly what you need.

So you have:

(Netscape user)------>|Junkbuster:8080|----Yes--->(Squid:3128)---->(Web)
                      |Is squid there?| ^
                              | |

Get it?

Find junkbuster @ http://internet.junkbuster.com/

I didn't see the source code on the web page, but it is a GPL'd program
so I would assume they have to make the source freely available to you.

Matt