Re: Cachemgr.cgi

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 11:30:36 +0200

"John E. Kozitzki" writes:
> We are fairly new to Squid and are seeing the benefits.
> Could someone explain to me the following output from cachemgr.cgi:
> Select loop called: 989837 times, 356.304 ms avg
> Page faults with physical i/o: 36660
> dnsserver avg service time: 2570 msec
>
> Select loop seems high, is it?
        Select loop called: 160664157 times, 21.021 ms avg
the select loop is called very often - once every second and once for
each block that is read/written (I think ;)

> I also think that dnsserver avg is way high unless I am misunderstanding
> what the line means.
possibly... ours are less than yours (which is unlikely) since we are
in South Africa, and you have a .com address - you should have much
lower lag times than us. Check that resolv.conf on the machine is right...
I also don't know if you have something like NIS installed? if so it might
be doing something silly like NIS lookups and then DNS lookups??

Oskar