Rotating logfiles

From: John E. Kozitzki <johnk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 16:01:11 -0400

I have seen alot of discussion about rotating logfiles lately.
One command seems to come up:

kill -USR1 `cat /usr/local/squid/logs/squid.pid`

What does this command actually do?
I have run it on our squid and the results were as follows:

1. Created a file in the cache subdirectory called log-last-clean with 0
bytes.
2. Added lines to cache.log stating that squid is rotating log files.

This takes about 4 seconds of writing and it then completes.
The only thing that bothers me is that I see no result of log files being
rotated except for the log-last-clean file.
Is there something else that I am missing?

Currently, I clean the logs with a script similar to the following:

mail -s user "cache.log" < cache.log; cp /dev/null cache.log
mail -s user "store.log" < store.log; cp /dev/null store.log
mail -s user "access.log" < access.log; cp /dev/null access.log

Could this cause me problems?

Thanx

John Kozitzki
Information Systems Manager