Re: Rotating logfiles (FAQ2B?)

From: Cord Beermann <cord@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 11:17:19 +0200 (MET DST)

Hallo! Du (John E. Kozitzki) hast geschrieben:

>I have seen alot of discussion about rotating logfiles lately.
>One command seems to come up:
>
>kill -USR1 `cat /usr/local/squid/logs/squid.pid`
>
>What does this command actually do?
>I have run it on our squid and the results were as follows:
>
>1. Created a file in the cache subdirectory called log-last-clean with 0
>bytes.
>2. Added lines to cache.log stating that squid is rotating log files.

3. If you configure Squid appropriate (look for rotate) it will
rotate your access.log, cache.log to access.log.0 cache.log.0

4. it writes the file in the cache subdirectory called log. In
normal work squid will append new objects with a new line to the
'log'-file, so it will grow and grow. Objects which are already
removed from the cache are kept in this file.

On SIGUSR1 this file is written new with the current
memory-metadata.

Cord

--
Cord Beermann        http://www.Wunder-Nett.org/~cord/