Re: Fetching from Parent slower than direct ??

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 97 11:30:38 -0700

walter@swiftech.com.sg writes:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I wonder if it is my configuration, but I have the following Situation.
>
>I am running 3 squid version 1.11 proxy servers on pretty fast machines (2
>x Pentum 133) or faster with memory ranging from 192Mb to 256Mb. connected
>to a 512k backbone which is NOT congested.
>
>I let them be siblings of eachother, and I have also 2 parents running
>Harvest on DEC Alpha superfast machines...
> So basically each of my servers has 2 siblings and 2 parents.
>
>Now the following phenomenon occurs:
>
>If I request with my browsers directly from the parents (my Upstream ISP) I
>get a fast response, like you might expect from a fast proxy server.
>
>If I request with my browsers from my proxy servers, it takes forever for
>them to get back with a result, and even then some pictures are missing...
>I use the standard ports, 8080 3130 in my squid.conf file
>
>However, If I remove the parents from my squid.conf, it again goes at least
>as fast as directly from my parents, the only problem here is that I have
>to fetch the info from my parents as they have a blocking list which I also
>have to oblige by.
>
>I had this same problem before with squid parents, but never found the
>solution.
>
>Has anyone had the same problem and if yes, what would be the solution?

Without more details its hard to say exactly what the problem could be.
I don't suppose there are UDP filters between you and your parent caches?

You might want to try a configuration like this:

     cache_host sib1 sibling 8080 3130
     cache_host sib2 sibling 8080 3130
     cache_host p1 parent 8080 0 no-query default
     cache_host p2 parent 8080 0 no-query default

Duane W.