Re: File descriptor leaks; misc queries

From: Edward Henigin <ed@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:32:44 -0500

        I was browsing through my unread squid mail, and saw this
message, and it caught my interest, because I've also seen some FD
leakage for 1.NOVM.11, we're up to 656 FD's in use after 6 days. I
have to restart the server every week or so, as it runs out of FD's.
I'm fairly busy, so I don't have much time to document the issue, other
than to let the developers know that I'm seeing the problem, too..
(tho I'd be happy to help document the issue if someone wants to tell
me how.)

        Ed

--
On Wed, Jul 02, 1997 at 11:48:57AM +0100, WWW server manager said:
> Back in May, a number of people commented that Squid 1.NOVM.10 seemed to
> accumulate an ever-increasing number of file descriptors open to zero-length
> cache files, and I've also been having trouble with this. I typically see
> pairs of them in cachemgr.cgi output, one listed as reading and the other as
> writing).
>
> I tried upgrading to 1.NOVM.11 today, in the hope that it might fix the
> problem, but it looks as though it is still accumulating old open file
> descriptors just as before, though not many yet as it's only be running a
> few hours. Highest FD used is 156, but only around 30 actually in use total
> (with 1.NOVM.10 I've seen it as high as 500+ overnight at times when there
> were fewer than 10 requests per minute). The high FDs are open to zero-length
> files last modified a couple of hours ago...
[.... deletia ....]