Re: Problem starting cache after reboot.

From: WWW server manager <webadm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:20:57 +0100 (BST)

> I'm running Squid 1.1.11 on Solaris 2.5.1, with the recommended patches
> as of 7/7/97 from Sun's site. I *tried* to search the mailing list
> archives first, but couldn't get any matches for any search string with
> more than one word. Does the search engine have some strange AND/OR
> logic I don't understand ????
>
> OK, so here's the problem.
>
> HTTP_PORT set to 8080
> ICP port set to 0
>
> RunCache gives the following message.
> commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 19 to *:8080 (125) Address already in
> use
> In case it's important, I'm running the Apache 1.2.0 web server on port
> 80.

Are you sure that Apache isn't running as a proxy, on port 8080, as well?
Though Apache's proxy/cache support is much newer/less mature, it is certainly
capable of running as a proxy and the error implies something is already using
port 8080...

"netstat -a" should confirm whether something (unspecified) is listening on
port 8080, e.g.

TCP
   Local Address Remote Address Swind Send-Q Rwind Recv-Q State
      *.8080 *.* 0 0 0 0 LISTEN

as part of the output if something is listening on 8080, and if you have the
free "lsof" utility available for displaying which processes are using which
files etc., that would show which process(es) were using port 8080 with
lines like

httpd-1.2 243 root 7u inet 0xfc393ab0 0t0 TCP *:http
squid 10563 root 20u inet 0xf646aea0 0t0 TCP *:3128

(examples taken from a couple of different systems) - may show the port as a
name or as a number, depending on whether it's named in /etc/services, hence
:http for a copy of Apache on port 80 in the first example and :3128 for a
Squid in the second... (same applies to netstat output). Note also that as
with "ps" output on Solaris, if the filename used to start the daemon is a a
symlink, the name seen in process lists is likely to be the target of the
symlink, not the name actually used to start it.

Examining the Apache config files and log files for any hints that proxying
is enabled is another option, of course.

I'm slightly puzzled, though, as the default Apache 1.2.0 Configuration.tmpl
file has

# Module proxy_module modules/proxy/libproxy.a

i.e. the proxy module is commented out in the configuration - so unless you
are using a copy of Apache configured by someone else who may have thought
"why not try it?" regarding the proxy support, you would have had to enable
it explicitly and therefore would know about it.

                                John Line

--
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)
Send general WWW-related enquiries to webmaster@ucs.cam.ac.uk