Re: transparent proxies

From: Richard Ayres <RichardA@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:28:20 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Hamilton <martin@mrrl.lut.ac.uk>
>Hi,
>
>Just wondering how many people were running Squid in a transparent
>proxy setup, and what your experiences of this were. For info :-
>
><URL:http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-5.html#ss5.6>
><URL:http://cheops.anu.edu.au/~avalon/examples.html#redirection>
>
>In case it's not clear, I'm talking about transparently intercepting
>port 80 TCP traffic and redirecting it into (say) a copy of Squid.
>
>Cheerio,
>
>Martin

I'm using such a setup. The only issues so far have been that:

(a) it's fairly useless to use my service providers parent caches
(cache-?.www.demon.net) because by proxying squid only sees IP addresses,
not host names and demon aren't generally asked for IP addresses by other
users;

(b) kernel 2.0.30 is a no-no as transparent proxying is broken (I use
2.0.29);

(c) client browsers must do host name lookups themselves, as they don't know
they're using a proxy;

(d) the Microsoft Network won't authorize its users through a proxy, so I
have to specifically *not* redirect those packets (my company is a MSN
content provider).

Aside from this, I get a 30-40% hit rate on a 50MB cache for 30-40 users and
am quite pleased with the results.

Rich.