Re: transparent proxies

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:13:07 +0100

On Mon 28 Jul, 1997, Richard Ayres <RichardA@noho.co.uk> wrote:
>(a) it's fairly useless to use my service providers parent caches
>(cache-?.www.demon.net) because by proxying squid only sees IP addresses,
>not host names and demon aren't generally asked for IP addresses by other
>users;

I thought Squid would now take any contents of Host: headers, and put
them into the URL it matches/requests? This isn't something I've
looked into much, yet.

I agree that it's a problem, and even when only using your cache it
could be a big problem - eg. www.microsoft.com's 14 or so addresses,
netscape and yahoo's constant rotation of addresses.

-- jrg.