Re: Easy way to increase cache size without flushing cache?

From: Henny Bekker <H.Bekker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 01:35:55 +0200 (METDST)

Dear John,

> > > Now that I've got Squid up and running swimmingly, I'm interested in
> > > increasing the size of the cache to fill up the room left over by the
> > > shut-down of the Apache cache. Is there a way to do this without entirely
> > > erasing the cache? Do I just increase "cache_size" and HUP it? How many
> > > storage dirs should I have for a particular cache size?
> > >
> > You can increase the "cache_size" and then kill -HUP the Squid server.
> > What you can't do without problems in adding another "cache_dir"..
> > Squid assumes that the caches are of the same size..It just alternates
> > between the caches for every object which gets stored.
>
> When I tried that (not sure which version; 1.1.something or 1.NOVM.something;
> whatever was current a month or two ago...), it looked as though HUP was not
> enough. Either that, or the cachemgr display showed the old cache size even
> though Squid was actually using more space as specified in the updated
> configuration - the Max Swap size that was displayed was the pre-edit value.
> When I restarted Squid, the cache.log entries showed it was using the new
> size.

You might be right.. I think Squid needs more then yust a SIG-HUP.. It needs
a full restart (stop/start) sequence..

Cheers, Henny

E-Mail: Henny.Bekker@cc.ruu.nl    ! Disclaimer: The main obstacle to progress
http    http://www.ruu.nl/~henny  !             progress is not ignorance,but
PTT:    Voice: +31 30 2536971 Fax: +31 30 2531633 ! the illusion of knowledge
X400:   /G=Henny/S=Bekker/OU=cc/O=ruu/PRMD=surf/ADMD=400net/C=nl         o
Paper:  H.J.Bekker, Utrecht University, Computer Centre              _  /- _
        Po Box 80011, 3508 TA  Utrecht  Nederland                   (_) > (_)