Re: init script for Squid ?

From: Carl D. Roth <roth@dont-contact.us>
Date: 05 Aug 1997 18:38:08 -0700

jt@tietosavo.fi (Jussi Torhonen) writes:

> What kind of /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid.init script you'd
> recommend to be used with RedHat Linux 4.2 ?

> the whole init script hangs completely. The first alternative
> works, but that init script won't be cleaned from the ps list
> after a run, like the other daemons do.

I've attached the modifications I use below. I snuck them into an rpm
I submitted to redhat, but others have claimed responsibility for
interacting with redhat.

To Whom It May Concern, fold any of this you think is useful into the
next rpm...

Anyways, here a few of the features:

* Kill the RunCache proces first, or else squid will just start up
  again. RunCache is a shell script, so killproc doesn't work.

* Use the squid IPC mechanism to shut down squid. This may or may not
  be a good idea! What if squid gets wedged?...

Carl Roth mailto:roth@cse.ucsc.edu (finger for PGP public key)