Re: Setting up MRTG with Squid...

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 97 11:23:09 +0200

On Thursday 14 August 97, at 15 h 8, the keyboard of Michael Pelletier
<mikep@comshare.com> wrote:

> 1. Should the "get_cache_descr" and other such functions simply return a
> single number, or a list of various numbers?

Four lines. Their meaning is described in the sample mrtg.cfg shipped
with MRTG.

Here is an example:

#!/bin/sh

FILE=/usr/local/lib/MRTG/retrieve.dat

UPTIME=` awk -F: '/Uptime:/ {print $2}' $FILE`
NAME=` awk -F: '/Name:/ {print $2}' $FILE`
DESCR=` awk '/Descr:/ {print $2}' $FILE`

echo $DESCR
echo 0
echo $UPTIME
echo $NAME

> 2. How do I enable access to certain cache_object pieces without opening
> up access to everywhere? I've currently got http_access permitted for
> cache_object to allow other folks to look at the results of the connection
> retry patch, will I have to shut this down to make MRTG work?

I'm afraid you cannot restrict cache manager access (apart from some
operations like "shutdown" which requires a supplementary password).
Either you authorize a machine or person to see everything through the
cache manager or you ban it completely.

But I do not understand the problem with MRTG: you just have to authorize
one more machine or person, the one which runs MRTG.