RE: P200 + 128M + 1.1.15 + Network Appliance = SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW WW

From: Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 22:57:05 -0700 (PDT)

My experience has been that mounting V2 UDP is the fastest combo. Much of
the readdir+ info returned by V3 NFS is not needed for squid.

Also, TCP should really only be needed if you're hopping through a couple
routers if you're on the same segment/switch, UDP should be more than
adequate.

I have not seen the original message, so I don't know which netapp you're
referring to, but on an F540, I have seen 6000 I/O's and a solid
8MB/second sustained from 2 machines hitting the box over v2 NFS/UDP.

sysstat output on the netapp would be useful, look at cache age and such.

If you'd like to take this offline and chat about it, I'd be happy to
throw out the few things that I've learned about making a netapp really
cook.