FTP directory updates and forced picture downloads...

From: Richard Munro <munro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 20:20:43 -0400 (EDT)

I've noticed this before but it was never really a problem. If a client
requests an ftp-style directory, such as from our own ftp server, the
content of a directory is cached. However if there are updates to that
directory, the old cached material is what is delivered. It doesn't seem
to get updated.

I've played around with the settings in the configuration file, even
bringing the if-modified-since values down to 1 minute, but still they
don't update.

I noticed this myself when going to http://nlanr.net/Squid to see if there
were updates to Squid itself. At times a new version had been posted for a
whole day and still I wasn't seeing it. However, hitting the refresh
updated it of course.

Something else I've noticed, but this is only lately. If you go to a site
which has a lot of picture type material, such as
http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics, the graphics seem to get downloaded to
the workstation even though they haven't changed and are definitely
resident in the local workstation cache.

I wouldn't normally notice this on our LAN because we normally shut off all
caching at the client, preferring to store everything at the Squid server.
However when using a dialin line we leave the client cache turned on, and
because the speed of delivery is slower it is easy to notice the reloading
going on. This didn't used to happen, but it is now.

I'm a very happy camper using Squid and I've used it for a long time. I
consider the above items only annoyances, but it would be nice if they
could be looked into when time permits.

Unix System Administration Humber College Network Services Department
munro@moe.acad.humberc.on.ca