Re: -D command line option

From: Cefiar <cefiar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 11:18:20 +1000

At 09:23 AM 9/3/97 +1000, you wrote:
>I'm using diald on a Redhat 4.2 system with squid and would prefer not
>to have the link brought up when I start the machine. Squid's DNS test
>appears to be the cause of this and I note in the conf file comments
>that DNS test lookup can be disabled with a command line option of -D.
>But when I attempt to use the option in my rc.d* scripts that I am
>starting squid with it returns an error that the option is not valid.

If you have Bind running on the machine in question, and you are an
authority for your domain, this is simple.

Simply edit the command 'dns_testnames' in squid.conf, and change it to
your machines fqdn (fully qualified domain name). If you have Bind running,
and are not a primary for your domain, I suggest creating a 'fake' domain
name and becoming primary for it, and using that in squid.conf.

IF you haven't got Bind running, you could either install it (prolly a good
idea to reduce traffic), or you could try making 'dns_testnames' blank. I
don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try.

| http://amarok.glasswings.com.au/ | cefiar@amarok.glasswings.com.au |
| Jake and Elwood - The Blues Brothers! |
| "You traded it?! You traded the Blues Mobile for this?" |
| "No. For a microphone." "A microphone? OK I can see that." |