Re: Global proxy autoconfig script?

From: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Oskar Pearson wrote:
> Of course, there might be something in the Internet drafts about auto-config
> systems that have been released (I haven't had a chance to look at them,
> but look at "ACAP -- Application Configuration Access Protocol",
> draft-ietf-acap-spec-06.txt). Perhaps these ideas could be integrated...
>
> So if someone changes IP addresses by dialing up in the UK, it will
> talk to that service providers' cache....

The primary purpose of ACAP is to put stuff that would normally go in
client configuration files on the server so the user is no longer tied to
a single client machine (thus making someone with both a desktop and
laptop or a work and home computer very happy). It also inherits
default configuration settings from the system. So you could do what you
want with ACAP, but I don't think it's a perfect fit.

I think what you're looking for is service location protocol, which is
already a proposed standard (RFC 2165). With this protocol you ask
"where's the best proxy" via multicast and the proxy says "here I am".

The big advantage here is that you would need no proxy configuration on
the client -- it auto configures. Plus you're using the protocol for
exactly the purpose it was designed, which is always a good thing. You
can also get locations for other servers which vary by site rather than by
user (e.g., SMTP submit). The end result is the client can work out of
the box with no configuration at any site running service location
protocol. Certainly an interesting idea for long term strategy.

                - Chris