Re: Cisco Cache Engine

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:35:36 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Steve Ollis wrote:

> Both of them came back `excited' about a NEW Cisco product - the
> Cisco Cache Engine. In a nutshell, it appears to be an IOS hack to

To be honest, given both price and specs and comparing them to what we
have now, I don't see any benefit to the Cisco Cache Engine whatsoever.

> My first question was: does it do ICP? No. (I've been told that next
> release will, but unverified)

It runs some Cisco-proprietary thing at the moment for running their
"cache farm" (I get the impression this is all in the one place, as
opposed to distributed as we do now with Squid proxies).

Like anything else, there's info on Cisco's Web site (look under "new"
stuff).

Cheers..

dave