Re: Global proxy autoconfig script?

From: Peter Matthews <pjmatt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:54:41 +0930 (CST)

I've been watching the thread pertaining to the "Global proxy autoconfig
script" develop. The following scenario should work nicely:

- user configures their browser to use http://www/proxy as their
  proxy autoconfig script.

- the NAS the user dials into automagically assigns them a DNS server to use

- aforementioned DNS server has a resolv.conf file configured to append
  the local domain or subdomain to "www".

- on any given web server, /proxy may be a scriptalias directory
  containing a cgi script, or a simple proxy.pac file. In either case,
  it's name would need to be configured as a directory index so it is
  served by default with the aforementioned URL.

- so, the user gets a different proxy auto-config with the same URL
  depending on which provider, point of presence, etc they dial into.

Cheers,

 Peter Matthews - Network Manager - pjmatt@dove.net.au
   ,- __ -,
  / \___/ /__ _ _____/ \ "To err is human - to really
 / _ / _ / _ \ |/ / -_) _ \ screw things up requires the
       A U S T R A L I A "Carpe Carpem-Seize the Fish"
      http://dove.net.au #include <std_disclaimer.h>