Global proxy autoconfig script?

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 22:29:34 +0800 (HKT)

Hi,

I'm sure some of you have shared our experience where customers logging into
other ISPs within your country or overseas complain that the cache denies
their access.

Instead of just displaying a message that "you have to dial into our network
to use our cache, please turn your proxies off", etc., how about creating
a global cache registry, keyed on IP networks? When the user sets their
autoproxy config URL to this script, the script will look up their IP
network and find the best proxy for them.

ISPs will then register their caches with this service; for example,
203.176.0.0/19 may be served by www-proxy.iphil.net.

Perhaps this can be hosted at NLANR?

If there is sufficient interest, I can start it off by prototyping some
code. What's a good algorithm for searching through a network/prefix
length table for best match? The default entry for 0.0.0.0/0 will
then be "no proxy."

Cheers,

--
Miguel A.L. Paraz                                              +63-2-750-2288
IPhil Communications, Makati City, Philippines           http://www.iphil.net