Re: Does Squid beat the rest?

From: Gregory Maxwell <nullc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 03:08:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

[snip]
> > typical cache hit rates
> > Bandwidth %:
> > Document %:
>
> I fail to see how this can depend on the software used. It depends on the
> pattern of use (i.e. your users), on the amount of hard disk, on the
> policies you choose for expiring, on the education/force you exerced over
> your users, etc.
[snip]

 Well, there IS a difference. With squid you can tune the refresh rules
with regexes.. Most cache software is simply on or off. Squid is VERY
flexible.. (Dont IMS images for 6 hours, except known weather sites, while
IMSing HTML every 60seconds, cache those webcounters even the cgi-bin
ones, etc.) Most commercial packages cant do that.. And from the money you
could spend on a commercial product you could pay someone to fine tune
and modify squid to your needs.. And if your modifications are sutiable
for a general audience, you could submit them back to the development, and
be admired as a internet-savvy company. (I would certantly choose a
company who contributes to such products)