Re: Squid connection retry problem -- fd leak?

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 05:24:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Apiset Tananchai wrote:
> Hm...our server is getting ~20000 connection/hour. I used to get around
> 30000 connection/hour during peak load. Output from netstat shows that our
> server had around 200-300 tcp connections during that time. As I told you
> below, most fds were hanging in writing state.

With that kind of load I'm not surprised I'm not seeing the problem with
my comparatively minsicule load. I wonder if it's that the write handler
is not being set correctly once the connection is established?

> Does anyone using connection retry patch with 1.NOVM.14 got similar
> problem with me? And do you have any suggestion to fix this problem?

Hm. I wonder if there's something different about the NOVM version that's
causing this. I'll take a closer look at the NOVM code and see if can see
anything obvious.

Pardon my public ruminations. ;-)

> One more question, Mike. :) Does your patch solve the problem with
> "connection reset by peer" error I usually get when browsing microsoft
> homepage or pages that use IIS as a server? I usually get complete page
> after press backward & forward button.

The patch will not help with that, the only time it kicks in is when the
initial connection is refused by the server, in the comm_connect_handle()
routine. Once the connection is established, the connect-retry patch is
out of the picture.

        -Mike Pelletier.